Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bob Mctavish

Bob Mctavish was the first man to cut a longboard and make something that we call shortboard. He was one of the most important characters on the shortboard revolution era. He still shapes everyday. He’s a very special man, full of love and kindness. And it’s someone that I really admire and I’m sure we will share some waves some day. I ask him to do something for the art show, and it took sometime to convince him to do it… After sometime, he agrees to make some drawing about surfboards concept. It’s an unspeakable honor to have Mr. Mctavish part of the II Santos SurfArt. It will be the first time that he’s part of an art show what makes this all very special… I'm stoked my brother! Really, really stoked! Below are his words and above it's him killing it on his 60's!

What's you name and where are you from?
Bob McTavish, Byron bay, Australia.

When did you find out that you would be an artist/shaper?
Artist: 1956 at school. Shaper: 1963 after I'd shaped a few hundred.

What do you want to show to people when you do your boards / art?
Boards: the higher FUN quotient teamed with lots of easy wave-catching and natural feel. Art: Invoke a sense of being there for that important moment.

What's surf for you?
Only sport/pastime that I wanna do. A lifelong fascination and refinement.

Can you tell us some highlights in your carrier?
Hawaii in 1963 when I stowed away on a ship. Shortboard Revolution, 1967. Love affair with Lennox Head for 40 years.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Bossa Nova, dancing, rhythm. Gilberto, Jobin, Bonfa.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
It's my first. I'm a bit scared.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
I was privileged to be there when these things happened. Enjoy creation. Honor the Creator.

http://www.mctavish.com.au/

1 comment:

pushingtide said...

Yes!

Thanks Bobby for cuttin' down that first longboard.