Thursday, November 13, 2008

Richard Dowdy

Richard it’s a classic man. He was introduced to me by Drew Kampion and I was so happy that happen. He lived on the golden age of surf art and sport and will show some vintage shots on the Santos SurfArt. I’m truly honored to have him part of the exhibition here, so check out the photo above, (Ryan Dotson, Waimea Bay, 1963)… and Richard’s words below…

What’s you name and where are you from?
My name is Richard Dowdy—nickname is Slick. I was born in Wyoming and moved to Southern California (Ocean Beach) after the fifth grade. Before beginning high school I moved to Encinitas where I first began surfing at Moonlight Beach.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
I started drawing cartoons when I was in the fourth grade; by the time I entered high school, I was drawing and painting, taking photos and making short 8mm films. In college (Long Beach State) I majored in art with an English minor; this eventually changed to English with a minor in photojournalism. Art rules my life; I am constantly photographing a variety of subjects. Each photograph, no matter how good or bad, advances my knowledge and respect for the truly great photographers of the world.

What do you want to show to people when you do your art?
My photographs are extensions of my interests and passion to capture moments in time.

What’s surf for you?
It is the ultimate use of nature’s power: wind, water and tides. The more we realize how special and unique surfing is, the more we will do to preserve the ocean’s purity and save the beaches for those who follow in our tracks.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
At the end of my college years I went to work for Hansen Surfboards in Cardiff by-the-Sea; first I rubbed rails, and then glassed boards. Later, I was a glosser during the summer season. Along with Hansen’s manager Jim Jenks (who later founded Ocean Pacific Sunwear), I created the Stone Steps Surf Contest—an event made for fun with beer, bands and big-name surfers competing for trophies created by local surf shop workers. Though Jim and I left the contest after six years, it still is held each summer at Stone Steps in Leucadia. Later, I left Hansen’s and moved to Santa Barbara and began working as a writer for Capitol Records. When I returned to Encinitas a couple of years later, I returned to Hansen as their design and marketing person, creating ads and catalogs. At that time I was approached by a representative from Surfing Magazine who asked me to come on board, which I did, even though Jim Jenks had just asked me to be advertising director at OP. I chose the “glamour” of the magazine—with a much lower salary. I remained at Surfing as editor/art director/publisher for nearly eight years. After that, I established a radio-control car magazine while editing an airplane and boat magazine. The car magazine brought me back to photographing auto racing, something I had taken up during high school. That led to me eventually becoming a staff photographer for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This past May was the 19th Indy 500 race I have photographed, along with numerous other Indycar and Formula One races, and most recently the MotoGP Championship in Indianapolis. After leaving the car magazine, I was asked by my friend Chris Carter to work as a writer on his TV series, The X-Files an enormously satisfying experience. After the X-Files, my wife Nanette, who had started a graphic design, branding and marketing studio, coerced me into joining her in the business. This marks the 23rd year since she began Studio 2055, where I serve as partner, writer, photographer and art director. I still photograph surfing, along with open-wheel auto racing, street people in Los Angeles, landscapes and musicians in concert.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Friendly, happy people, carnival, surf, thongs and Copacabana Beach…but most of all, Ayrton Senna, Emerson Fittipaldi and Felipe Massa!

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
I am honored to be among such prominent and creative people who are showing their work in such an inspiring and exciting venue.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
It pleases me that people far away who share the same love for the ocean’s waves and art will have an opportunity to view my work and that of these amazingly talented contributors. Thank you, and greetings from California!

http://www.richarddowdy.com/index.html

2 comments:

terror skim club said...

Eai caras,
tudo certo? Meu nome é Rafael e algum tempo me indicaram esse blog (passaram no meu terrorskimclub.blogspot.com) e eu gostei bastante parabéns. Muita informação legal. Morei na california ano passado e me inseri nessa cultura do surf clássico se assim que vc pode nomear.
Fiquei empolgado com festival em janeiro, como faço para participar? Estou começando uma marca, chama Cotton Project, dependendo poderiamos até contribuir com alguma coisa, eu sei que está em cima da hora mas dependendo..

valeu

Rafa

Rafaelvarandas@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I know this guy. Hey Slick, it is Brian Spencer, Chris Dowdys buddy that built you the cars for R/C model car mag. Jolene Arthur/Spencer, Nanette friend when you lived in La Costa. What are you doing in 2022? John Gunderson would like to know.
Woody Resin