Monday, October 13, 2008

Christiaan Bailey

The Hub it’s a longboard film. A very beautiful film. Christiaan is a british dude that loves to surf and loves to share his visions with other people. Above it's a little still from the film by Ryan Heywood. Below the words by Christiaan…

What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Christiaan Bailey and I come from Penzance in Cornwall, United Kingdom. Penzance lies in an area of Cornwall called Penwith, it is a very narrow peninsula, the north side is very rugged with exposed rock, but beautiful sandy beaches and very clear water, the south has more trees and there are a few very good quality reef breaks. Penzance is a very old trading port, we used to have a Portuguese embassy here, because of the all the visiting sailors and business people, but that was back in the 1700's.

When did you find out that you would be a film maker?
I wanted to be a film maker since I was 17 when I watched a BBC documentary about a camera man.

What do you want to show to people when you do your films?
I want to share the history, culture and joy of surfing. It's mostly about the joy, discovering new places, achieving new ambitions, sharing fond memories.

What’s surf for you?
For me surfing is an intense experience, both physically and emotionally, it keeps me fit, raises my awareness and helps put things in perspective. I personally surf a variety of boards, a 1965 Hayden Longboard 9'6', a Biofoam twin fin fish 5'10', a 6' 8' single fin, and a couple of ply wood belly boards and a Tom Wegener 'Alaia', which is lots of fun, although sometimes I just body surf.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
I think that the highlights have been meeting amazing characters, I could brag about the famous names I have encountered, but they are more than names, they are people and some of them are very beautiful in spirit. Meeting inspirational people keeps me inspired and motivated to keep pushing forward in all aspects of my life.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Beauty and passion.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
I feel very happy to be part of it, I do not know a lot about the details of the show, but I get the impression that the people organizing it are good people, who want to share the magic of surfing with others. This seems worthy to me, and it is exciting to think that people in Santos city will see my film and that some might even enjoy it and/or be inspired by it.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
My film is about a place (Noosa Heads, Australia), which is protected by a nature reserve. The point waves bring a lot of joy to all and inspire many to push the limits on their heavy surfboards. These places need to be cherished, as do all the experiences they bring, so my message is to celebrate what you have, protect and feed the positive and it will flourish in ways that you might never imagine.

http://www.oceanmotionpictures.com/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, did'nt think I had a twin until I googled my name...uh, our name. Well, at least you surf as well! :) Hit me up on myspace sometime!...Myspace.com/santacruzsoulsurfer

Cheers, Christiaan Bailey
Pro Surfer from Santa Cruz, California