Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Wyland

When I was younger I remember reading surf magazines about the Hawaiian winter and I remember a contest in Haleiwa called Wyland Hawaiian Pro. Years after that, well some months ago, I got the chance to meet Wyland, went to dinner with him and his crew, and it was sick to have him in town painting a mural on the local aquarium. When I was driving him to the hotel, after dinner, I explain to him about the art show and he was super cool and kind to donate a piece to the Surf Museum. The art above will be donate to the city, and will be permanently on the Surf Museum here in Santos. Wyland is a good man, very nice and funny dude and it was a huge honor to meet him and have him on the show that I curate. It’s actually amazing!

What's you name and where are you from?
Wyland. Just Wyland. I was born in Detroit, Michigan, USA.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
When I was 4 years old, I would paint dinosaurs and jurassic scenes. I know I wanted to be an artist.

What do you want to show to people when you do your art?
In my art I like to show people the beauty in nature and inspire them to think about protecting it.

What's surf for you?
Surf in being in the ocean, meditation, and inspiration.

Can you tell us some highlights in your carrier?
Painting the largest mural in the world in Long Beach, California for the Guinness Book of World Records. Completing 100 Whaling Walls in 27 years, the last one in Beijing for the Green Olympics. Displaying all of the Hands Across the Ocean art at the National Mall with the Smithsonian in Washington, DC in October 2008. Beijing official artist for the International Year of the Reef 2008. Induction into the Diving Hall of Fame in 1998.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Beautiful women, beautiful people, beautiful beaches... and of course the Amazon Rain Forest.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
Santos is an amazing city and we were treated warmly. I look forward to my return and bringing the Wyland Foundation one day to Brasil.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
I hope everyone in Brasil will enjoy the art and the message and get involved.

http://wyland.com/

No comments: