Thursday, October 2, 2008

Grant Myrdal

Grant was a pro surfer and even won the contest in J-Bay some long years ago. His photograph is inspiring and full of soul. He’s a super nice guy and I feel very honored and stoked to have him on the show here. Above is the photo that we will have the pleasure to see it here, and below some words from this amazing guy…

What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Grant Myrdal. I grew up surfing in J-Bay South Africa but now I live in the mountains of bend, Oregon, USA and have become a dedicated snowboarder as well as a surfer.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
After a few years of shooting some friends said my work was decent and I should try to show it in art galleries. Little by little I realized that maybe I was becoming an artist.

What do you want to show to people when you do your art?
More than anything, the beauty of the natural world, whether it be in the ocean or the mountains. I like to shoot stuff that is a little unusual, abstract images if you will, and bring people's attention to details that they might take for granted or walk right past without noticing.

What’s surf for you?
Well it keeps changing; right now surf is slicing through deep powder. But in truth it is the whole experience I love - traveling to the ocean, hanging out at the beach with friends, watching waves, daydreaming, surfing, talking about it and being able to photograph the ocean in all its various moods.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
I think the highlight so far was getting my first solo show in New York City. I come from a small town in South Africa so to get a break in New York was quite special. I was really nervous that first opening night.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Party time, Rio, small bikinis, jujitsu and some charging Brazilian surfers I have seen in Hawaii.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
I am honored to be a part of the show especially because it will be in the new surf museum.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
Enjoy, and I hope it makes you dream of another world, to escape from reality.

http://www.grantmyrdal.com/

No comments: