Friday, October 3, 2008

Julie Goldstein

Julie’s work is the most unique surf art I ever saw. It’s just inspiring… It’s always good to share the line up with ladies. And Julie’s work it’s all about the female and most delicate side of surfing. Spreading the flowers and love to this brutal world. Let’s see what Julie has to say…

What's you name and where are you from?
Julie Goldstein, Long Beach Island, New Jersey, USA.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
I was always creative and loved to make art as a child and teenager. It was in college that I decided I will always make art no matter what happens. I have had many jobs in my life and always made the time to make woodcuts and draw. It is a part of me that will never go away.

What do you want to show to people when you do your art?

I hope that my work stimulates people in a way that helps them to be more aware of their surroundings, to observe and to want to create. I hope they can get my sense of humor, passion and feelings toward what is real and meaningful in life.

What's surf for you?
The sea is a place where I feel the most real. Surfing is something that I am very fortunate to have in my life. It makes me happy on all levels, even when it is February and freezing, I still love being in the water and learning something new every time I surf. It stimulates me athletically and creatively, what more can I ask for?

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
My most recent and most influential experience has been traveling to Central America and Mexico. I spent time watching the women in these cultures and how they load the kids up onto their moped and dirt bikes. They are mostly barefoot and can usually fit 2- 4 kids on the back of the bikes sans helmets. Most often they have groceries and or other bags with them. It is pretty amazing compared to our own society. It really put things into perspective for me and I have enjoyed creating a body of work based off these fearless yet nurturing mothers and women.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Color, Energy, Music.. I need to visit!

How do you feel to be part of the film festival over here in Santos city?
I feel fortunate to be involved in this year's festival. I admire many artists in the show and am grateful to be apart of this exhibit.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
Soak it in and enjoy!


http://www.juliegoldstein1.com/

No comments: