Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Mark Jeremias and Jason Baffa

I first did an interview with Mark Jeremias and Jason Baffa for a surf magazine here in Brasil, right after the movie was released in US. Mark and Jason where always so kind and nice. Sometime after that I was approached by Mark about his coming to Brasil with Mike Vallely and crew to film DRIVE in Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Last march Mark gave the chance to spend eight days with them working as a translator and assistant here in Brasil. It was epic for me and I will never forget those days… Mark and Jason’s movie One California Day is epic… it’s beautiful and very emotional… I will have the pleasure to screen here for the film festival to show this art piece to all kinds of people that probably will never have the chance to see and experience California, but will have a teaser about what it is. Let’s give the word to my friends Mark and Jason…

What’s you name and where are you from?
MJ: My name is Mark Jeremias. I am originally for Germany, but grew up primarily in Newport Beach, California. I currently live in Costa Mesa, CA.
JB: Jason Baffa from the South Bay, California.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
MJ: I started experimenting with making Super 8 mm films in Middle School, but it wasn’t until I got into college that my interest in Filmmaking turned into a passion and career goal.
JB: as long as I can remember, I’ve been drawing and painting. my parents were very supportive of my creativity and always allowed me to create things - from artwork, to Lego creations, to home made creatures and eventually movies - I got a super 8mm film camera from my grandma when I was 7yrs old and that was when I first started shooting movies.

What do you want to show to people when you do you art?
MJ: My approach to filmmaking is simply to capture the moment. My style is deliberately of a slower pace and intimate with long shots and use of long lenses. In a world that is so fast paced, I really try to bring attention to the subtleties of a scene. In surfing, that means calling attention to not only the action on the wave, but also the light, wind, and geographic surroundings.
JB: I think with both my films and my art, I try to give people somewhere to escape to. I like to take people on a journey, to somewhere new and let them enjoy being there hopefully, allowing them to leave the pressures of day to day life.

What’s surf for you?
MJ: Surfing for me is about a connection with nature.
JB: just yesterday, I jumped into the ocean to bodysurf and I told my friend how even body surfing a few waves changes my whole mood and state of mind. I truly love the ocean and my connection with the ocean - a fun day of surfing with friends is the best source of energy, spirituality and inspiration I have ever found. the ocean's energy truly affects me in ways that are difficult to put into words, I just feel so fortunate that I’ve grown up in Los Angeles and have always had the ocean in my life.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
MJ: Through my work I have been able to travel to and experience some amazing places and meet some incredible people. Highlights include staying with a Zulu tribe in the hills of South Africa, visiting Old Town Jerusalem in Israel, and walking the streets of the City of God in Rio de Janeiro. These are all experiences that will stay with me forever.
JB: the world premiere of Singlefin: yellow at the Lido theatre in Newport Beach, CA. was pretty amazing - there was a line of about 600+ people, many had been waiting for hours, we literally finished putting the final credits on the film minutes before the screening - the energy in the room and the response to the film showed me that we really had something special. Years later, getting to work with Greg Noll, Lance Carson and Skip Frye on One California Day was truly an amazing experience. These guys are pillars in the chain of surf history and I’m honored to have them involved in our film One California Day - screening the film with Mark to sell out crowds in film festivals like Santa Barbara, Maui, Rio, Rincon Puerto Rico, France, and San Sebastian Spain – that has been an extremely rewarding experience. I'm truly moved that people all over the world enjoy my films.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
MJ: I was fortunate enough to visit Brazil in 2008. Before going there I didn’t really know much about it. But now having visited, when I think of Brazil I think of the character of the people....determined, courageous, and resilient.
JB: Caipirinhas! But really, just great, giving people, who are so inspired in they way they live - I was so impressed to see all the people running, walking, surfing, playing beach soccer and spending time outside in Rio - I’ve tried to embrace that level of activity in my life and enjoy it as much as I think the Brazilian people do.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
MJ: It’s always nice to share your work with people, especially when those people come from a different culture.
JB: It’s just awesome. We make these things to share with people and to know that thousands of miles away someone is looking at your work and that you might be inspiring them - that is a humbling experience and I’m just honored.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
MJ: Enjoy One California Day, it was a labor of love to make, and hopefully will give many of you, who never get the chance to come to California, a glimpse into California’s rich surf culture.
JB: although surfing is the context, I hope my work inspires people in their daily life – whether its the sharing of one surfboard, like in Singlefin: yellow - or embracing heritage and the beauty of your home, like we did with One California Day - the themes in these films apply to all people in all places and I hope the people of Santos City are entertained and inspired. Obrigado.

http://www.onecaliforniaday.com/

No comments: