Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Mattson 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the music from The Mattson 2 since like, two years ago. Never thought about seeing them live. Some weeks ago I email them…. And in January we will have the pleasure to see and listening to them playing live… It’s so unreal that I even can’t believe they will come… Jonathan is a very kind and funny dude and will be so sick to share some waves with them. Beer it’s already on the fridge, and most of the Brazilians that I know are already very happy and excited about it….
So, this for me it’s the most amazing news for this festival. The Mattson 2 live in Brasil…. Yuppie!!!!!!!!

Who are you guys and where you guys from?
We are the Mattson 2, Jared Mattson on guitar and I (Jonathan Mattson) on the drums. We are from San Diego California.

When did you find out that you would be an artist/musician?
Well i think it all started in Middle school, we were very influenced by our older brothers that all played music, and listened to music. I think i really wanted to be a musician when i got my first drumset at age 15. From there we started a band and I practiced with Jared all the time. Jared played guitar, i played drums----so in a way we grew and learned each others vocabulary together.

What do you want people to feel when they listen to your music?
I want them to feel good when they hear it. I want it to be like a musical and engaging journey.

What’s surf for you?
Hmmmm being in beautiful weather, mellow knee high waves, surfing on a single fin log. Than taking a break with some beers. None of this competitive, bad vibe stuff.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
I think a major turning point in our carrier was doing our first tour in Japan. We did that tour with our collaboration project called Ray Barbie Meets Mattson 2. That was an amazing experience not only being in a whole new world but also meeting a great community of inspiring Artists/musicians/surfers/and all around good people

You guys been around good art, and good artists. Do you think this is all inspiring to your music?
Definitely. I think we wouldn’t have the sound we have today if it wasn’t for the art of people like Thomas Campbell, Barry McGee, Alex Kopps, Evan Hecox, Tobin Yelland, and Ed Templeton--and of course other great inspiring artist.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?

Hmmm i always think of a very tropical postcard. Nice light blue waters, good weather--you know like----paradise.

About the show here, what came thought your minds when this opportunity to come to Brasil happens?
I was super excited. I love traveling seeing new cultures, and I love the reaction other cultures have to our music---I think our sound has an international wide ranged racial appeal---being that it is instrumental and totally honest expression from the heart. So when i got your invitation to come to Brasil it was very exciting for me.

How you guys feel about coming and playing in Brasil?
I can’t wait to see the culture, and to play music, and be around locals that know the area, and can take us around for a good time.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
We are looking forward to play for all of you. We will be honored to be guests in your country and to be a part of the festival!

http://mattson2.com/