Thursday, October 23, 2008

Guilherme Tonelli

Guilherme is from South Brasil. A beautiful place with some of the best waves in Brasil. His inspiration comes from these waves, that breaks upon white sand beaches… Very poetic like his work… made specially for the Santos SurfArt…

What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Guilherme Tonelli a.k.a biruta and I’m from Balneário Camboriú, Santa Catarina, now based in Itapema, a beach close to it.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
I've always been drawing since childhood, when I was at school I started making caricatures of my teachers and friends, later I started painting surfboards, but I only realized that I would be an artist, when I found myself in an art exhibition in São Paulo at the MIS (Museu da Imagem e do Som). My artwork was selected for a group show, the II Mostra Internacional de Arte e Cultura Surf, over there at the exhibition; I could see and talk to artists themselves. Craig Stecyk, Art Brewer, Mark Sutherland were there, with their artworks exposed at MIS. From that point on I decided I would like to be an artist and like those guys, to show their artworks around the world.

What do you want to show to people when you do your art?
I want to show new creations, colors, different visions of things, and my innermost style of drawing.

What’s surf for you?
Surfing is more than a sport it's a life culture, and is pure fun, some way to refill your body and brain with ideas and energy. I mean you can go out for surfing in a "crap" day, with clouds and windy or cold water, and get only one wave or two, and say it sucked, but when you'll be out there on the sand you'll start feeling a plesant sensation.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
My career has just begun, I can say my highlights were exhibitions at the: II Mostra Internacional de Arte e cultura Surf, MIS, São Paulo (2005). Video: "Arte de Lata", selected for the; Motomix Art&Music Festival, MIS, São Paulo (2005), IV Mostra Internacional de Arte e Cultura Surf, Oca - Ibirapuera, São Paulo (2007). and the V Mostra Internacional de Arte e Cultura Surf, Bienal - Ibirapuera (2008).

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Eight Thousand Kilometers of coast... there might be some secret spots hidden somewhere...

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
It's an honor to be part of a show in Santos with many other artists I admire, i feel like been a real part of the history in surfing culture.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
Thanks, Enjoy it and I hope it can pass on a good vibration!!

www.flickr.com/photos/biruta

No comments: