Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mai Britt Wolthers

Mai’s work is one of my favorites... She was part of my book, and I’m glad she was on the first Santos SurfArt, and now on the second annual show. Her work has been showed all around. Her husband, John Wolthers is one of the first big wave riders in Brasil and one of the most stylish surfer I ever have seen. Will be a honor to have Mai’s work on the show and let’s see what she has to say about her self..

What’s you name and where are you from?

My name is Mai-Britt Wolthers, I was born and raised in Denmark, but I live in Brazil since 1986. My husband is Brazilian and I was introduced to surfing when we met in 1984. It took me some years to realize the importance of surfing in his live.., all our 4 kids surf and I do surf a little too.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
I always knew that I wanted to paint, that I "had" to paint, we are all born artists and if you have the "need” of art, it will come through sooner or later. I have studied art and painted regularly since 1994. Maybe art for me has the same importance as surfing has for John (my husband).

What do you want to show to people when you do your art?
My enchantment of this planet, beauty of life.

What’s surf for you?
Surf is joy, freedom, the close contact to nature and friendship

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
When I was accepted at the 10th National Bienal in Brazil , Santos , I was very happy and proud , because it was a kind of an official acceptance of my art , I want my art to be contemporary and being accepted at the Bienal by the strict and qualified jury, I had the feeling of being on the right track.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Brasil is live, warm people, beautiful nature, beaches, surf, samba, coffee and soccer and it is my second home country. I love Brasil.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
Proud and happy, Santos is my hometown now and I am delighted to see so many artists from all over the world participating in the art show.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil..
Don’t try to understand or give definitions, just feel it...

http://maibrittwolthers.com/

No comments: