Saturday, September 27, 2008

Felipe Siebert

Felipe Siebert's boards are art pieces, and it's ironic that most brazillians don't recognize wood boards as art pieces that can be ridden. But Felipe does. He's probably one of the finest crafters in Brazil and I can't wait to surf one of his crations. More than beautiful boards, he's got some beautiful words to spread.

What´s you name and where are you from?
My name is Felipe Siebert. I'm from Florianópolis, an island located in the south of Brazil, but my family is originally from Laguna, 70 mile to the south. Whenever I can I still go there to surf, and most of the pictures posted on our blog and our website were taken there too.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
Since I was a kid, I allways loved to draw and mess around with electrical devices. But I don't consider myself as an artist, because I have a more technical view about my work. Maybe I consider the ability to find solutions on better ways to build boards to be an art.

What do you want to show to people when you do your art?
My intention is to build something good for people. I want to help rescue the best things that surf produced in terms of art and culture.

What´s surf for you?
In it's essence, surf for me is that moment when I take off on a wave, and I try to use my ability to overcome my limitations day by day, and when I do It, and I paddle back to the outside at my local break in Laguna and then I look around. That moment, though it happens a lot, is allways very special.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
The highest point in my career is to see my friends having fun riding my boards. Other than that is to get recognition from people like Tom Wegner, who I deeply admire. Through my work I was able to meet people I knew from videos, like Donavon Frankenreiter, G. Love and Braddigan (from Dispatch).

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
When will the brazillian surfers realize that there's so much more besides WCT and tri-fins?

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
To me is a great honor to participate on an exibition side-by-side with artists I allways admired and looked after, throughout blogs, sites and movies.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
Don't limit yourself to only one board. It makes surfing much funnier and interesting.

www.siebertsurfboards.com

1 comment:

053 said...

great blog! I`m from Uruguay and I want to know if there´s an e-mail to contact for more information about the art show.
Thanks,
José