Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Grant Brittain

Grant Brittain is the best and most influencial skateboard photographer from the history. This is my words and you will probably agree with me... take a look at this shot above... Hosoi doing a sick power slide.... little more about Grant below...
What's you name and where are you from?
J. Grant Brittain, I live in Encinitas, California near the beach with my two teenagers, my wife and our cat.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
I was an art major at college and borrowed a camera from my roommate in 1979 and I haven't stopped shooting since then.

What do you want to show to people when you do you art?
With my Skateboarding photos, I want to show the drama and beuty of skateboarding. I do my fine art photography mainly for myself. That work is more of a personal diary and is a release for me and helps balance my life. If people like anything I do, that's cool

What's skateboarding for you?
I started skateboarding when I was 10 and surfing at 13 and the two activities have always been intertwined through my life since then. I am 53 years old now and I have been making a living in Skateboarding since 1978 when I got a job at the Del Mar Skate Ranch.
Skateboarding is such an independent lifestyle that it definitely runs into all aspects of my life, it helps keep me creative and young. My 14 year old son is skating now and I see the new found excitement that he's experiencing. I remember that when I started.

Can you tell us some highlights in your carrier?
Highlights in my carreer- Probably helping start Transworld Skateboarding in 1983 and then leaving TW in 2003 and starting The Skateboard Mag from scratch. I had the same feelings and emotions 20 years apart, except now I am an owner and it's much more fullfilling and scary. We are running it ourselves and it's overwhelming at times.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Bob Burnquist. One of the greatest skateboarders that has ever stepped on a piece of wood.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
I am honored to be a part of a show with some of the most creative artists I know.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
If people see my work and it inspires them to pick up a camera or a skateboard, that's it for me.

No comments: