Thursday, September 18, 2008

Nathan Oldfield

Nathan Oldfield is an inspired guy. His new films are beautiful. Are full of soul, love and grace. Makes me wish I was born in Australia, surfing those pristine waves, walking on the grass… We will screen Seaworthy for the first time in Brasil on January for the Film Festival. I can already tell it will be something very special…

What’s you name and where are you from?
Nathan Oldfield, Central Coast, New South Wales Australia

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
I guess I’ve always made stuff. Lots of us I think are born with that desire to create. It hasn’t really been a conscious decision. It’s just an extension of who I am.

What do you want to show to people when you do you art?
I believe that surfing can teach us how meaningful and precious life really is. If my work ever inspired anyone out there to surf with a little more gratitude for the gift of breathing, then I’d be a happy man.

What’s surf for you?
I love surfing with my whole heart. I’m concerned with where it has been, where it is, and where it’s going. For me, surfing isn’t just sport, it isn’t just physical. It’s actually metaphysical; it’s an experience of the heart & the spirit. It’s a way of being & breathing in an imperfect world. It’s a place to go to, a place to be, a place to belong.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
Every now and then I get emails from people from different places in the world who write to tell me how much like they like my work. It’s very humbling and very encouraging.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Football. Music. Beautiful women. Passionate people.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
Really honored and really grateful.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
Thanks for taking the time to have a look at my work. I hope it somehow resonates with your own heart for surfing.

http://www.freefilms.com.au/

No comments: