Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Rafael Mellin

Rafael it’s probably one of the best surf film makers from Brasil, and even from the world. His films are beautiful, fun and award winners. He’s a classic carioca guy, full of inspiration and great ideas.
These images above are stills from his new movie that will be ready by the end of the year.
For the I Santos Surf Film he will make something special just for us…. How sick is this, ah? Let’s see what he has to say…

What’s you name and where are you from?
Rafael Mellin, from Ipanema, Rio.

When did you find out that you would be a film maker?
I started playing around with vhs cameras when I was 15, just taking turns with my friends to film everybody surfing. i then started editing some stuff using 2 vhs players at home and as I’ve always liked doing that, i just kept doing it until it naturally became my profession.

What do you want to show to people when you do your films?
i like to share the way I see things. in surfing, I like to show people how I look at waves, travelling, performance, etc. it's also a way to share the stoke and give some credit to the surfers I admire in the water.

What’s surf for you?
That's not an easy question. And I’m not sure I can define precisely what surfing means to me.
Surf is a lot of things. At the same time is an art, a sport, a passion, a source of energy, an industry, a getaway, and an excellent reason and excuse to spend your life wandering around the world in search of things you won't find.

Can you tell us some highlights in your career?
As a surfing video maker, so far my highlights would be the great opportunities I had to show my films around the world to different groups of people.
When "Samba, Trance and Rock n Roll" won the award of best film in the International Festival of St. Jean de Luz, in France, it was great honor - specially receiving compliments from guys like Jeff Hackman,Michael Halsband, Bruno Delaye and the whole jury. And that allowed me to show it around, in places like New York, Florida and throughout Brazil.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Brasil means a bunch of things. It's my country, my people, my friends. It reminds me of many joyful things and a few sad ones.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
I feel honored and privileged to be a part of an event in the company of such great artists. There are a lot of people I really admire and it just feels like being a fan amongst some of my references in surfing art.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
I hope everyone can come to appreciate the great works that'll be displayed in the Festival and I'd like to thank everybody involved, especially Jair.

http://www.mellinvideos.com/

1 comment:

André Côrtes said...

jair, fiquei sabendo do evento que você organiza através do Blog do grupo sal. Fiquei amarradão na iniciativa e gostaria que você conhecesse meu trabalho para , quem sabe, participar de eventos no futuro.
Se puder visita: salyagua.blogspot.com
abraços