Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nathaniel Russell

Nat Russell did the poster for the second annual Santos SurfArt. He was always kind with me. He never got mad that I email him a thousand times changing details and asking this and that... He's a patience man. He's a very talented artist and have a beautiful view of the world. Love his work and love the poster. We should all thank Nat. Thanks Nat!
What´s you name and where are you from?
My name is nathaniel russell. I am from Indianapolis, Indiana and i now live in San Francisco, California.

When did you find out that you would be an artist?
I can't remember a time when i didn't draw. I’ve drawn something almost every day of my life. it's just something i enjoyed and it seemed wrong to try to do anything else.

What do you want to show to people when you do you art?
I want to share a commonality in all people. something that connects us to eternity. for me, it's about line and simplicity. rawness and honesty in the form and the content.

What´s surf for you?
The ocean. growing up in indiana, there is no ocean. when i moved to california i was flabbergasted. it's the biggest thing in the world. people write books and sing songs about the sea. it is endless.i am a horrible surfer. i have just started to even attempt to surf. somehow i have a lot of friends who are amazing surfers an artists. surfing makes me think of friendship and freedom.

Can you tell us some highlights in your carrier?
Being able to work with my friends is the highlight. collaborating with friends, being able to travel for art. that has always been the dream for me: friends and travel.

What comes to your mind when you hear the word Brasil?
Music. lots of music. guitars. people smiling. tourist photos. food.

How do you feel to be part of an art show over here in Santos city?
I'm flattered, honored, and excited. it's humbling to think some pictures of mine will be all the way down there. it's amazing to me that the world is so small.

Some words to the people that will see your work in Brasil...
Thanks for looking. we're in this together!